This week I quilted and bound three small quilt tops that I've had in my sewing closet, two of them for quite awhile. Wondering why I was so inspired?
I've been getting to know the Imperial Quilting Frame and Viking Mega Quilter that were gifted to me last month. Sadly, my quilting friend, Sharon, passed away last spring after a long battle with breast cancer. When I inquired about purchasing her frame and machine I was told that it was Sharon's wish that they not be sold, but given away. Of course, I was shocked as well as thrilled. When they came to live at my house, I, in turn, gifted my older wooden frame and Juki machine to my friend, Vicki, who has been wanting a way to quilt her own projects. Now we are both learning new skills!
Besides being able to quilt larger quilts on a stable metal frame, the machine came with a Quilter's Cruise Control which is a stitch regulator allowing me to have consistent stitch size regardless of the speed. The control sort of dangles from the back of the Mega Quilter and there's been a little bit of a learning curve in using it. If any of you have experience with this control and can suggest a better way to mount it, please let me know.
Quilting the three small tops was a great way to familiarize myself with the machine and frame. My mom used to say that "three's a charm" and, sure enough, by the third quilt, I was feeling pretty comfortable. I was really happy with the vine and leaf design that I tried out also.
Both nine-patch quilts were pieced as leader/ender projects and, hopefully, will be given to wheel chair patients in Nepal. The lavender quilt was pieced by someone else and I finished it. It will be donated through my quilt guild to a child living at Safe Home.
Moose has been practicing new skills also! My husband is teaching him to retrieve the newspaper in the mornings. Somedays, it's quite a mouthful for the little guy!
Monday, I spent the day coatless as I cleaned up my flower beds and finished some painting on the exterior of our house. By Tuesday morning the temperatures were in the 20's. It's hard to adjust!
What's a girl to do but stay inside and sew, right!
This cute little Stylin' tunic by Olive Ann Designs sewed up so quickly. I used a fun cotton knit fabric by Anna Maria Horner in orange.
This is the second pattern that I've tried by this designer and am impressed with her directions and helpful diagrams. My only change was to add interfacing at the neckline, knowing from experience that the final result would look nicer if I used some on the facing. The back opening was easy to make using elastic cording as the loop.
Having a healthy collection of old buttons, I found some fun ones for the flaps on the pockets. I'm anxious to see how the fit is on my three year old grand daughter, Lois....she'll need a long sleeve tee under it in these temps!
I also whipped up some rice bags for a friend suffering from severe shoulder pain. The small sizes were quick to sew up and will give her a choice of warm comfort when heated in the microwave for a minute or two.
Velcro seemed a good way to close up the bags so that the amount of rice inside can be adjusted. Now I'm wondering if I should have put the rice inside of muslin bag first. Hmmm...
I'll have to think about that over another cup of hot coffee!
What fun I have had the last two Saturdays as I sewed all day, and into the night, with quilting friends from two different quilt guilds.
My good friend, Vicki, sat across from me this past Saturday creating darling Christmas quilts for her grand-children.
Meanwhile, I worked away on dresden blocks for a quilt I've had in my head for awhile now.
Nikki stole my phone and snapped this photo of me hard at work. Do you see my leader/enders all lined up so neatly, ready to sew, as I stitch away on the dresden blocks? Nikki thought that you should see how organized I am! (Sometimes.)
I'm planning on using the grey dots as my background. Any thoughts on what to do for the centers of each plate? Every block will be a different assortment of fabrics in the same color combination of pink, yellow, aqua, orange, green and lavender.
I also managed to finish up another block in the blue color-way for my Soul Searching quilt. These blocks are really large at 24 inches square!
This one puts me at the halfway mark for a twin size quilt when I'm finished.
Anne, from my Mid-Century Modern Bee, requested that we all make blocks in grey and lime from an original pattern that she's trying out. The layout is a secret. Four blocks were sewn up fast during my sewing marathon Saturday!
Much slower and intricate sewing was needed to create this paper-pieced block for Elizabeth, a member of the same MCM Bee. I'm happy to have that one behind me....isn't it pretty!
I wish that I could spend every Saturday sewing all day, but with the arrival of autumn weather, there's lots of yard work calling me to stay home!
And, besides, I'd miss my new little buddy, Moose! He keeps me busy, too!
Since childhood I have had an unquenchable love of fabric. For years now my addiction has been directed toward quilts and, especially, the creation of them. I have the stash to prove it! Fred, my wonderful husband, supports and encourages my hobby. My 3 grown children and their families will never be cold, let's just say. I have a degree in home economics education and worked in a public library until a few years ago. Many days you will find me playing with one or more of my eight beautiful grandchildren at my home in the country.