Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Take 2, Etc.

My second try at making the First Day Dress resulted in a better fit around the neck. Besides making a size 6 rather than 5 like last time, I also used the cutting line for a different size neckline to enlarge the opening.
Next time I might leave the back neckline alone and only cut the front piece with a lower opening. For summer, though, the lower back makes for a breezier top!
It was so toasty outside that my lens fogged up while I was shooting these photos of Lula in her tunic top.... sorry about that!
I added a little ruffle to the front and used the cap sleeve version this time. The pattern called for treating the lining and the top as one when hemming but I chose to hem them separately for fear that after washing there would be some puckering. I think we are maybe ready to try the dress pattern next!
Size 2 summer outfits are as much fun to sew as size 6, I've found!
I've been wanting to try out this Burda sundress pattern 9551. The Posey print by Aneela Hoey is so sweet.... I just adore it! I also love tiny piping on little girl's dresses for some reason. Fortunately, I had some on hand left over from my hand-smocking days.
Lois has been wearing size two clothing for quite awhile now. The length of the skirt was perfect on her but it was a bit wide through the torso with this pattern. 
A back zipper makes for easy off and on. I added buttonholes to the bodice so that the straps can easily be adjusted by just moving the buttons up or down.
Lois, like her girl cousins, loves wearing a cute little dress whenever she can!
Of course, her Lolly, is happy to accommodate! Here's the Burda skirt pattern made up in her size using Heather Ross's strawberry fabric. 
I left off the big bow and did not line the skirt this time.
It seems to me that Lois likes it that way just fine. She even came up with a name for her skirt: The Birthday Skirt!
She must be planning ahead though because she's got a few months to go before her birthday rolls around!


9 comments:

  1. Precious little ones! Great clothes. Lucky girls to have a Lolly who sews for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Carl! Such cute outfits. I want to sew one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your "models" are adorable & lucky to have you sewing sweet clothes for them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such adorable little girls, Carla! And your dressmaking skills really make them happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a good grandma! The girls are so adorable and how lucky to wear such cute clothes. That Posey print is a favorite of mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly have a garden full of little lovelies this summer! What a wonderful Lolly you are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These posts always make me smile :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you got the neckline just right on Lula's top, and I would have hemmed the lining separately too.
    Great call on the adjustable buttons. It will let the top grow with her as she grows!
    You make being a grandma look like such fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww. Your beautiful little girls, and those adorable clothes... I'm pea-green.

    ReplyDelete