Friday, August 31, 2012

Farmer's Wife Friday--A Light at the End of the Tunnel

There's  light at the end of the tunnel in my marathon Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt project.

I wonder how many miles of white thread there are in these blocks? I've been using it to sew a bunch of seams, that's for sure!
There are 110 blocks in my top. Number 111 will be added to the back as a label. Each block was first sashed either with two inch strips and trimmed to nine inches...
 Or, with a triangles in each corner so that it sits on point.
Once that was accomplished, I laid them all out, numbered the rows... 
 ...and began sewing them all together. By placing the on-point blocks on top I was always able to keep the corners from getting cut off with the stitching.
 An old mail basket came in handy for moving my rows back and forth from the floor to the sewing machine and helped me keep everything organized. (I like to use flannel backed vinyl tablecloths as my design surface.)
 The blocks are finally all sewn into rows. With a few more hours of sewing and a bunch more white thread, the top will be all ogether and ready to send off to be professionally quilted.
I'm still trying to decide on my backing, wanting to make sure that my choice doesn't show through the white and on to the front. I'll keep you posted!

9 comments:

  1. This just makes my heart beat faster. AND makes me want to get started on sewing my blocks together! Beautiful, just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, beautiful! Love the layout you are using. Have fun on the final stretch....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be magnificent!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting for you! It is going to be a show stopper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Carla, this is going to be so worth the time you put into it! Absolutely gorgeous and cheerful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely can't wait to see this quilt...it's going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to see it! I am so jealous you have all these done. I have the book. The blocks are still a twinkle in my eye at the moment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is going to be such a happy Farmer's Wife quilt! I love those cheery fabrics!

    ReplyDelete