Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Life

I've been thinking that since my birthday last month, I've been on a roller coaster of emotions.  It's like I'm still growing up, learning to deal with the ups and downs of life. I suppose that never stops. Until, the end. It's the unexpected things that really get to me most often.
Almost immediately after blowing out my birthday candles, the unexpected began happening in waves. (Well really, the birthday party itself was quite unexpected too, but in a good way.) 
In the last weeks, I've had to evaluate several things in my life....rejection and harassment ...making long overdue decisions about who I will seek out and who I won't....learning that forgiveness needs to come easily if we want to honor and love one another....realizing (again) that life can be really, really hard and yet sweet all at the same time. 
There is so much mystery involved in the plans that God has for us. We have to know that we know that we know. We have to believe in the dark all the things that we have learned in the light. If we don't, we will be lost and maybe never find our way again.
Have you ever wished that you could just walk over to a hurting friend and lift off some of the burden from her shoulders and onto your own? 
I've been feeling that for the last week. One of my dearest and sweetest friends lost her son a few days ago. Unexpectedly. His wife and young daughter are left behind. This young family has been in the trenches of grief before, with the loss of darling little girl that they so desperately wanted to call their own. But, it was not to be. How does one survive these types of heartbreak? 
The only way that I know is to keep your eyes glued on the only One who can get you through the valley. You must believe that He is who He says He is. And that He is good and loves you more than you can imagine. He sees the whole puzzle....we, only the small pieces.
We can trust God. That's the only way. We also need the support of people who love and care for us, who have our back and will be there for us no matter what. During the good times, we need to be cultivating those relationships and not take them for granted.
Thank you for letting me share my heart today. Tomorrow, I'll be back with a quilty post and pictures from my recent quilt retreat. But, today, I just needed to share with you, my friends.

15 comments:

  1. Words don't seem adequate at these times. You and your friend and family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about your recent losses and uncertainties. I'll be praying for that family and you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so very sorry for your friends loss. For the young widow, I can relate having been a widow myself at 28. I cannot imagine losing a child, that I cannot grasp. My heart hurts for your friends. God will see them through it, if they put their trust in Him. My prayers will be with them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My parents lost an infant, then 4 years later their firstborn son was brain damaged severely in an accident and eventually killed himself. I was too young to understand what happened, but my mother questioned why and never got over the losses, my father briefly asked why, but let faith take over and guide him. I saw the differences in their lives and know that faith truly heals and that is especially true in the most desperate of situations. The only thing to do is to forgo understanding and embrace faith.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's been on my mind, too. And then her birthday & Easter came. I couldn't stop thinking about her. So sudden and sad. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. one day at a time.Let the grief live and do not hide from it.
    Learn to share your cherished memories. and trust that someday you will know the reason.
    belief in a higher power is a great source of comfort and remember to be thankful for all the good things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen. I'll include your friends in my prayers. And say one or two for you. Birthdays make me introspective, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so sad. I hope that with time the hurt will fade and memories can surface to calm their hearts. I love your quilting pictures and you sharing on this blog. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much heartache in life....I know it well. I cling to the love of God in all things. Thanks for sharing with your blog. I always come away with good. Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying for you and your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know your wise counsel will help someone reading this. You have such a tender heart. I will pray for you and for your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so tough when things hit you like this. I've said a prayer for you and your friend and her family. Thank God we have each other, right?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a difficult time you've had. You've expressed your feelings so eloquently, exposed your heart, and we're all a little wiser because of it. All of us are sympathetic too, knowing we'll have similar seasons in our lives. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "We have to believe in the dark all the things that we have learned in the light." I love this Carla, it's so true. God certainly gives us strength to bear the impossible. Praying for you and your friend's family. Thank you for sharing your heart and faith in this space.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was beautifully written.I know it is hard. We search for answers, for the "why" of losses like this. My prayers are going up for you and your friends.

    ReplyDelete