Friday, May 14, 2010

Blocks for Nikki




I made this block for Nikki today.  The center fabric is the only requirement that she gave the quilters in a new virtual bee that she started up for the Kansas City Modern Quilt Guild.  We are called the Kansas City Scrappy Bee.  I'm a little ahead of the game with Nikki's block as June is her month, but she sent me the fabric last week so I decided to do the unthinkable and be early for something for one time in my life! It was fun to make....I hope she likes it.

Nikki gets more done than anyone I know.  I wish that I had her energy.  One of her most honorable accomplishments is organizing quilters to make blocks and quilts for the Quilts of Valor program.  The Blue Valley Quilt Guild in Kansas City, of which we both are members, has made over 90 quilts for this effort.  Without Nikki's passion, it would not have happened I am certain. I can't even imagine how many hours she has invested.  Knowing how deeply she feels about QOV, I was not surprised when she asked the KC Scrappy Bee gals to each make a 12 inch square for QOV as our May block.  She gave us the pattern and a piece of red fabric to be used, asking that it be a patriotic block.  I finished this block a few days ago and will be giving it to Nikki for the quilt.

Virtual bees are a great  way to get to know quilters from all over the country and world, even.  It is also challenging and fun to work with new patterns and fabrics that someone else enjoys.
If you haven't tried it yet, what are you waiting for?! Here's a place to start.

 I thought I would give you a little taste of a small project I am working on as a gift for someone very special.  I'm having a lot of fun designing and making it, even though I am in a bit under the gun to get it finished in the next few days.

Back to work!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Carla! I'm so very excited!!! I love the blocks you made. Thanks so much for your sweet words. I feel so fortunate to be a part of this fun bee of ours. Can hardly wait to get started on our next blocks!

    Quilts of Valor has been a great way for me to have fun with fabric on a budget! I use my stash and friends give me more material to add to it... Other friends give me blocks and even finished quilt tops... And mostly I just coordinate things. Thanks so much for your help with it all. It's so rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have your June block done?! You are a bee overachiever... :) I'm impressed! I also like your WIP; I can't wait to see it done!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look great Carla...I am jelous that my quilt won't be until next march. OH WELL....fab work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whitney, you'll have more time to think about what you really want... I'm already hopeful that we'll do a second round and we've barely started the first one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are going to be great additions to both quilts. How lucky we all are to have you as a bee member.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last "teaser" picture sure makes me want to see the WHOLE THING! Can't wait. You know, I'm handquilting a basket quilt now too. The words are pieced kind of like yours. fun!

    ReplyDelete